SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Updating Issue

image

Issue:

For the third time in as many weeks, I have had this weird problem in updating the Workflow Settings for one of the SharePoint Lists workflows, whenever I change the Start Options to “Start workflow automatically when an item is created/changed” and publish it to SharePoint, the start behavior of the WF execution doesn’t change and once I refresh the SharePoint Designer (SPD) and check the start options again, it returns as it was “Allow this workflow to be manually started”.

image

Cause:

After many hours of fighting with SPD, I went to a conclusion that SPD will cause this issue sometimes because of certain Workflow Activities .NET assemblies caching problem within the SPD.

Resolution:

The solution? It’s simple, you have to clear the SPD Workflow Activities  Assembly Cache Folders:

  1. Close the SharePoint Designer.
  2. Open the Windows Application Data Store Folder by going to Start->Run and then type %APPDATA%\Roaming\Microsoft\SharePoint Designer\ProxyAssemblyCache (%APPDATA% is a Windows Environment Variable that points to the Windows Applications Store Folders) and press Enter.image
  3. Delete all these directories inside the ProxyAssemblyCache Folder.
  4. Browse again to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\WebTempDirimage
  5. Delete all the files inside this Folder.
  6. Run SPD again, and everything will work out fine Smile
About these ads

10 Responses to SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Updating Issue

  1. jas says:

    Thanks for the fix. you saved me a lot of time

  2. Brad Tanck says:

    hey thanks man!
    This saved me some headache..

  3. Roy says:

    Thanks for the fix

  4. AJ Akerbaek says:

    you saved me a lot of trouble, thanks.

  5. Mehdi says:

    really useful tip,thanks.

  6. sravan_sravankumar@hotmail.com says:

    Hi Friend,

    I been facing the exact same problem with SPD2010 in SPS2010. WF’s were working fine until today morning, but suddenly it stopped updating, so whenever I publish(new WFs) or re-publish(old WFs) it doesn’t seems to be updating, as it is performing the same old steps(for old WF’s). Files in ProxyAssemblyCache folder were updated around 4 hours back. Performed the steps mentioned above and was successful for the first time but soon after faced the same problem and again performed the above steps but the problem isn’t resolved. Please comment on this.

    Regards,

    Sravan.

    ——————————————————————————–

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 50 other followers

%d bloggers like this: